Gentle Nutrition + Frozen Peppermint Bark Recipe
Practicing Gentle Nutrition During the Holidays (and EVERYDAY!)
The holidays should be a time of joy, surrounded by family, food, and fun. However, it can be overwhelming to find the balance in your nutrition habits during this season.
Follow these three simple tips to help you find balance while eating foods you love this holiday season and also staying committed to your health and nutrition goals.
- Don’t skip meals. You may find yourself trying to skip meals to “save your calories” for one big meal during the holiday season, but that is not a good strategy to have! Skipping meals can lead to overeating which can lead to physical discomfort after meals and potentially disordered eating habits.
- Focus on your hunger-fullness cues. Your body will tell you when it is full and when it is hungry. If you can learn how to use these cues during the holiday season, it will allow you to enjoy all the goodies, without the temptation to over consume past fullness. If you want to learn more about tuning into your hunger-fullness cues, schedule an appointment with Samantha the Dietitian today!
- Add fiber throughout the holiday season. Fiber can be found in foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Fiber can help you stay fuller longer, improve digestive health, and help you maintain a healthy weight. It is easy to add more fiber to your nutrition habits during the holidays by boosting your recipes with fruits, vegetables, or whole grains like oats and whole wheat flour.
Featured Food and Health Benefits: Peppermint
Peppermint has been around for centuries. Usually during this time of year, peppermint is used in many different foods, candles, soaps, teas, and more! Peppermint doesn’t just smell good, it has many health benefits too.
The health benefits of peppermint include:
- Relieving stomach discomfort like stomach aches, nausea, and gassiness
- Reducing intensity of headaches
- Freshening bad breath
- Improving energy levels and mental focus
- And so much more!
As you can see peppermint can be a great addition to you improve your quality of life.
Let Samantha Help You Improve Your Nutrition Habits!
Office Address: 22 East Church Street, Suite 304 Martinsville, Va 24112
**Hours are By Appointment Only**